Monday, February 16, 2009

Being Creative Under Code Orange Watch

As a member of The Book Project team, from my home in Anchorage, Alaska, I've been a busy novice trying to soak up all the information and tidbits available from around the world. I often find myself amazed at the creative abilities in this group.

When Mt. Redoubt was elevated to Code Orange status, I found myself ignoring the project as I went about gathering up supplies that might be needed when Mt. Redoubt erupted. Having lived in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley during the 1989 eruption of Mt. Redoubt and the 1992 eruption of Mt. Spurr, I added to my supply list this time and even purchased dog booties (similar to those the racers use for the Iditarod sled dog race). Ash is very abrasive and one of the suggestions from a newscast was to make a litterbox for your dogs rather than let them outside during or after the eruption. Sharing my small space with two large German Shepherds, I simply could not visualize where or how to make them a litterbox and booties to put on at the door seemed an extremely reasonable alternative.

Now that we have been at Code Orange status for a couple of weeks, I'm back to the business of working on my writing -- knowing the scientific commentary now is usually the same of increased seismicity with continued 24/7 watch. Checking the earthquake warning center page continues to show 40 +/- earthquakes a day in the area, all registering under 4 on the Richter scale.

Right now, we are getting ready for the Fur Rondy celebration and the World Championship Sled Dog Races. Snow will be hauled in to Anchorage streets, if there isn't enough, and we'll celebrate with the Running of the Reindeer, the Miner's and Trapper's Ball, the Frostbite Footrace and many other events during the 10-day celebration. It might be difficult to concentrate on our project and not slip away to take part in at least some of the celebration between February 27 and March 8.

No comments: