Sunday, February 22, 2009

Novel Writing Via The Scientific Method

In the past, I've often considered that I would enjoy writing. However, I've been encouraged to write about what I know well and thought to myself that what I know well would probably not make it past an agent to a publisher. The Book Project, so far, has required me to get outside the metaphorical box I've become quite comfortable in over the last few years.

It was mentioned during our planning that we could have different official aspects to our writing group, particularly if we felt more comfortable or productive that way. As each group needed to plan, research, write, and edit -- we could segregate that draft work but finish with a collaborative writing. First, I thought about research as a considerable amount of my day is spent doing just that and I'm good at research. Interestingly, my group took a little different slant and we are all participating, collaborating, writing, and critiquing contributions to our final collaboration.

In performing this collaborative exercise in writing, I'm learning that my B.S. (um, that's Bachelor of Science -- not the other B.S.) provides a good background for this work. I'm actually utilizing what I learned in the labs and I take an idea, form the hypothesis, perform the research, analyze those results, put it into a written form, and post it on the The Book forum for peer review. So far, I think I'm doing okay writing in venues I only "know" through research; although, for me, this requires many more hours devoted to the research than to the writing.

At present, we are barely toddlers in this collaborative novel and my gypsy soul is rekindled. The plan, 10 years ago, was to retire in 2011 and let the travel begin. In 2005, that plan was altered by the universe and ambiguity became my control for life's experiment. After researching two fascinating places extensively, in order to write about them in a manner I intend will pass peer review and critique, as well as intrigue our first readers in 2010, I have learned my desire to visit other parts of the world is still alive and well. That gypsy desire has simply been out of sight and out of mind, banished to my own Pandora's box of things I refuse to think about and the lid tightly in place.

I think I will purchase a new science journal to record the hypothesis, research, trials, and results as I explore and blog through The Book journey in 2009. When our collaborative novel is complete, my written journal might then serve the purpose any good experiment journal does and allow the same method to be repeated. Usually the science journal allows others to replicate the experiment and return the same results. Feeling confident The Book will be extraordinary, self-replication through articles or blogging by actually traveling to these fascinating sites could be a great way to support the hypothesis an author is capable of fascinating writing on topics she does not know well.

No comments: